Friday, September 17, 2010

BREAKFAST CASSEROLE - Cindy's Church Breakfast Casserole

Maynard Pittendreigh
Cindy was the Office Manager of the Good Shepherd Presbyterian Church in the Greater Atlanta Area, which I served as Senior Pastor. Cindy gave me this recipe for a breakfast I prepared for the church elders one morning. I used it often for Talk Like A Pirate brunches at Chapel by the Sea when I moved to that church.
 
It is not only easy to make, but you can make it the night before and heat it up for breakfast or brunch the next day.
 
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Ready in 50 minutes
 
Ingredients (these measurements are good for a group of folks)
  • 1 pound sliced bacon, diced (Maynard’s note: I sometimes omit this - or I make one pan with bacon, and the other vegetarian style)
  • 1 medium sweet onion, chopped (Maynard’s note: I sometimes omit this)
  • 6 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed (I prefer fresh, if time allows)
  • 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1 1/2 cups small curd cottage cheese
  • 1 1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese

Ingredients for half (will make 5 to 6 servings)

  • half pound sliced bacon, diced (Maynard’s note: I sometimes omit this - or I make one pan with bacon, and the other vegetarian style)
  • a small palm full of sweet onion, chopped (Maynard’s note: I sometimes omit this)
  • 3 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed (I prefer fresh, if time allows)
  • 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 3/4 cup small curd cottage cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
Instructions
  1. In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion until bacon is crisp; drain.
  2. In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; stir in bacon mixture. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish.
  3. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until set and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment