Thursday, January 22, 2009

HUSHPUPPIES - WOODROW WILSON'S HUSHPUPPIES


HUSHPUPPIES - WOODROW WILSON'S HUSHPUPPIES
Woodrow Wilson

When I lived in Abbeville, SC, our mail was delivered by a rural delivery system.  Rather than a mail truck with the USPS logos, our mailman drove his own, very old car.   What amazed me is that while we all had an address, such as Route 1, Box 222, no one ever used the box number.  Our mail was simply "Route 1, Abbeville, SC."  What amazed me, even more, was that there were two Woodrow Wilsons on Route 1, and the mailman never made a mistake in delivering the Wilson mails.  He knew everyone's friends and could tell whose mail was whose.

Woodrow and Etrulia Wilson invited me and my wife to their home for supper one day.  When we arrived, Woodrow informed us that we owed him $5 each for the meal.  I thought that was exceedingly strange, but paid the man.  He cooked up pretty good hushpuppies to go with the fish he had caught from his lake.  I asked for the recipe.  This is not a stolen recipe.  I figured I paid for it!


  • Oil or shortening for frying
  • 1 ¼ cups cornmeal
  • ¾ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ¾ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon sugar
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 1 cup milk
  1. Heat the frying oil in a deep fryer to 370 degrees F.
  2. Sift together all the dry ingredients
  3. Stir in the egg and milk until everything is well combined.
  4. Spoon the wet batter into the hot oil in dollops about the size of a quarter to a half dollar.
  5. Fry them until they are evenly brown, about 3 minutes, turning once.

No comments:

Post a Comment