Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Beulah Abbot's Chocolate Icing Recipe

BEULAH ABBOTT'S CHOCOLATE ICING RECIPE



I knew Beulah Abbott when I was in Ware Shoals.  She was one of those sweet Southern ladies who would come to the house whenever anyone was sick or had a birthday.  She must have baked cakes every week. Her husband, J. J. Abbott had been the manager of the company store in Ware Shoals, but died at the age of 49 in 1954, shortly after I was born. I never knew Mr. Abbott, but my Dad spoke highly of him for many years and always spoke highly of Beulah.  I well remember her coming to the house with a cake!  She died in November, 1997, and I am grateful that Barbara Holloway-Smith preserved this recipe.  Barbara was the best friend of my sister, Missy, who died at the age of 7.  Throughout her life, Barbara always had good thoughts to share about Missy.


  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 tablespoons of white Karo syrup
  • 3 blocks bitter chocolate
1. Using a double boiler, cook until it reaches a good rolling boil.
2. Test tadpole stage in cold water.
3. Stir well, pour into anther pan--do not scrape the sides of the pan because it makes the frosting grainy.
4. Set the pan in cold water to set.
5. When lukewarm, beat until very thick, BUT use some icing before beating to ice the cake as this will act like a glue so the rest of the icing will stick better.

No comments:

Post a Comment