Friday, September 17, 2010

Shannon's Sugar Cookies

Sylvia Shannon Pittendreigh Crittenden

I remember my sister making these on special occasions. The earliest I remember her making them was in the early 1960s when her husband Todd was in the Army and she had moved back into our home to live with us for a while. She was pregnant with David at the time, and was often in a bad mood. I distinctly remember Mom dragging her against her will into the kitchen, and later Shannon came out with a plate of warm sugar cookies. I suspect Mom was trying to keep Shannon busy and happy. Shannon made these for years. I remember getting a batch from her during my first semester of college in 1972. She gave me this recipe when Ginny and I got married in 1975. There were, as I recall, two Sugar Cookie recipes, but this is the only one I have now. (Maynard Pittendreigh)

1 cup melted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar

In a large bowl thoroughly mix the butter, sugar, egg, vanilla and almond extract.
Blend in the flour, baking soda and cream of tartar.
Cover and child for 2 to 3 hours.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Remove the dough from the refrigerator.
roll out the dough on a lightly floured cutting board.
Cut it into desired shapes and place on cookie sheet for
Cook for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown.

You can add sprinkles on the top.

makes 5 to 6 dozen

No comments:

Post a Comment